About Me

My photo
A southern California girl, transplanted into New York City.

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Reinvention of Stephanie Ang

Hello, World!

I have finally created my blog.  In doing so there were many aspects to consider, i.e. the Title, the Layout, the Fonts...all of which were supposed to somehow represent me.  Would that really be possible?  I mean is it really, truly possible to say that "The Reinvention of Stephanie Ang" is an accurate description of what this blog will cover?  Am I really being reinvented as we speak?  In a way, yes.

In the short time since moving to Manhattan this past August of 2011, many things have already changed.  First and most obvious, I have moved "home base" from LA to NYC.  In doing so, I have also entered the dreaded Long Distance Relationship (or LDR, which I recently discovered was the new acronym) and committed to it for at least two years.

However, my wonderful LDR is not my only two year commitment, and that brings me to the second aspect of my reinvention.  I have entered New York University's Master of Arts Program in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.  Yes, it's a mouthful.

Yes, TWSS.

Anyway, this program is likely to reshape me in ways yet unknown.  What I can say as of now is that I will be rapidly and harshly thrown into a world I barely know - the business world.  Thanks to years of learned distaste, I know next to nothing about the industry, and will thus have to make up those years of avoidance in a just few short weeks (if that) in order to keep myself relevant and competitive in my new chosen field.  I'm going to start reading the Wall Street Journal, people.  This is big.

Furthermore, this program will challenge me to improve not only my business acumen but myself as a whole.  I will be stretched to my limits, and once they are redrawn, stretched again.  I will have to overcome my fear of seeming stupid in order to network.  I will have to read more in a shorter amount of time than ever.  I will have to develop even better interpersonal and leadership skills in a professional setting.  Mainly, there's a lot I have to do, and I can't make excuses anymore.  This is it, people.  This is it.

Another change I've noticed, while of less import, is still noteworthy.  My chosen wardrobe is different.  For some reason, I'm wearing colors I wouldn't have chosen just two months ago.  Around last spring, I somehow got into prints, and that has taken off for some reason.  And now, I'm wearing green...and red.  It's so strange.  Also, I guess it's due to the crazy humidity, but I'm wearing shorts, skirts, and dresses despite my insecurities about my legs.  If you want to extend the fashion change even more, I'm using cross-shoulder and messenger bags more, and I chose pink for my blog background color (I did like pink a LOT in college - I think almost every day I wore at least one pink thing - but that color preference has shifted to purple in the last year or so, and therefore would have been the predicted choice).

At my core, I'm sure I'll remain the Stephanie you've known.  Silly, caring, nurturing, sympathetic, laughs at her own jokes, Stephanie.  But in a couple years, or maybe a few months, I'll be Stephanie+.  Like Google.

There's much more I could say, but I have to keep you coming back, right?  So for now, that's all folks!

Will Stephanie really change?  Will she succeed in NYC?  At NYU?  Tune in next week, same time, same blog to find out! Da na na na na na na na (Batman)!

Thanks for reading,
- SA

3 comments:

  1. I like the the google plus reference, it was funny =)

    and the batman thing too.

    good luck on your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarial with the google reference! But honestly life is about change. Change can be good and it can be bad. Its how you handle the change that makes the difference. If you honestly did not change, I would be concerned. You are having life experiences and I hope that they do change you, for the better. These experiences are what will make you, YOU! A unique individual. I am excited to watch you grow! Hopefully I grow as well... and now the size of my waist hahah wah wah!

    ReplyDelete